Effective Date: SEPTEMBER, 2019
Policy on Privacy of Customer Personal Information
- Who is GVS
- How We Collect Personal Information
- Behavioral Advertising
- Information We Collect
- Our Privacy Principles
- Data retention
- Contact Information
Who is GVS?
How We Collect Personal Information:
- Directly from you, such as information you provide to us when you inquire or purchase our products and services.
- From our vendors, partners, and third parties who we work with to provide and improve our products and services
- From companies and organizations that partner with us to deliver products and services
- Automatically, from your use of our website or apps, such as your IP address, usage data, and geolocation data.
At this time, we do not respond to Do-Not-Track signals. If you would like additional information about online tracking and various opt-out mechanisms, please see http://donottrack.us/ Please note that not all tracking will stop even if you delete cookies.
As described above, we use personalized online advertising on the website to ensure that the advertising is as relevant to you as possible. It works by showing you ads that are based on your browsing patterns and the way you have interacted with the website. It then shows you ads which we believe may interest you.
When you browse the website, some of the cookies and similar technology we place on your device are advertising cookies, so we can understand what sort of pages you are interested in. We can then display advertising on your browser based on these interests.
We only use device information for this purpose, we do not collect or use information such as your name, email address, postal address or phone number for personalized online advertising.
We may also share online data collected through cookies and similar technology with our advertising partners. This means that when you are on another website, you may be shown advertising based on your browsing patterns on the website. We may also show you advertising on the Website based on your browsing patterns on other sites, that we have obtained from our advertising partners.
Online retargeting is another form of online advertising that allows us and some of our advertising partners to show you advertising based on your browsing patterns and interactions with a site away from the website.
For example, if you have visited the website of an online clothes shop, you may start seeing ads from that same shopping site displaying special offers or showing you the products you were browsing. This allows companies to advertise to you if you leave their website without making a purchase.
We also use personalized online advertising to promote our own products and services. This means that you may see advertising for our products and services on the website and when you are on other, third party websites, including social media platforms.
For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
Additionally, you can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info.
Information We Collect:
We may collect different types of personal information, including:
- Contact information, such as first and last name, telephone number, and address
- Billing information, such as credit card number and billing address
- Information necessary to verify your identity
- Other information necessary to provide you with our products and services
Our Privacy Principles:
- process and administer your payment for the purchase of products or services, if you purchase online or use a debit or credit card for the purchase in one of our stores;
- process your application for a product, provide a service, or administer the Canadian Tire loyalty reward program or other loyalty or preferred customer programs that may exist from time to time (each a “Loyalty Program”);
- better understand your product and services needs and to offer relevant information, products, services, rewards and programs to meet those needs, including sending you (and others on your behalf) communications by way of postal mail, e-mail, facsimile, telephone, text message, or other type of electronic message;
- determine your interest and eligibility for, and where appropriate, provide you with, products, services, rewards and programs;
- administer the delivery, return or exchange of products, services, rewards and programs to you;
- track and analyze your purchases, other transactions, shopping patterns, account activity, and payment history for marketing purposes or tailoring promotional offers to you;
- track and analyze website use to provide a better customer experience such as customized offers and advertisements;
- conduct surveys and analysis for research, statistical and product development purposes (information will be de-identified to the extent possible);
- verify your identity and protect against error and fraud;
- manage and assess our risk;
- assess and update your credit-worthiness on an ongoing basis;
- process, service, analyze and audit your relationship with us, including collecting any money you owe us;
- support promotions and contest administration;
- perform tests to implement or modify systems;
- comply with applicable legal, regulatory and self-regulatory requirements;
- process and respond to your application for employment;
- respond to your questions, comments or requests to customer service; and
- achieve other purposes as may, from time to time, be permitted or required by law.
- We keep your personal information accurate. We want to keep your personal information up-to-date, accurate and relevant for its intended use. We rely on you to let us know if your address, telephone number or other information you provide us changes, so that we may provide you with the best possible service.
- You can access your personal information stored by us. You have the right to access, review, and request changes to your personal information in our custody or control. To access your personal information, a request must be submitted in writing to us (see Contact Information below). We will respond to your request for access or information or changes in a reasonable time.
- Deletion of personal information: You may request that we delete your personal information. We may reject your request, as permitted by applicable law.
- Do Not Sell My Personal Information: While we do not sell your information, you may have the right to direct us to stop selling your personal information depending on the jurisdiction in which you reside.
- Portability: Under certain conditions, you may request that we transfer your personal information to another entity in the format in which we maintain it in the ordinary course of business.
Our retention periods for personal information are based on business needs and legal requirements. We retain personal information only for as long as is necessary for the processing purpose(s) for which the information was collected. For example, we may retain certain transaction details and correspondence until the time limit for claims arising from the transaction has expired, or to comply with regulatory requirements regarding the retention of such data. When personal information is no longer needed, we either irreversibly anonymize the data (and we may further retain and use the anonymized information) or securely destroy the data.
The website is not intended for individuals under the age of 18 years.
You may contact us:
- by e-mail at email@example.com
- by mail at 2180 Yonge Street, P.O. Box 770, Station K, Toronto, ON M4P 2V8- Re: Privacy Inquiries